Now we are twenty

I'm working 5 days a week at the moment, something I'd never be able to do in more 'normal' times. I'm dreading going back to the hustle and bustle of pre-lockdown life.

It's 6.30, late afternoon/early evening. I'm in the garden, surrounded by newly watered plants. One of the girls is cooking for the family. There is locally produced cider flowing, ordered on Sunday, delivered yesterday. Supporting local businesses. 
The sun is still potent, but the temperature gradually falling. 

Tomorrow is M's 20th birthday. She'll leave her teens behind in the midst of a pandemic, the highlight of her day a quiet picnic with her boyfriend in the local university gardens. She's made hummus and baba ganoush and we'll click and collect a cake along with our other groceries in the morning. Some of us have time off work, so there'll be gentle celebrations at some point in the day. 

My kids really aren't kids any more. 

Comments